Monday 14 November 2011

Remembrance Day.....11/11/11

We couldn't let such a special day come and go without making a poppy or two. People from all over the world gathered together to remember loved ones lost and family members currently serving in the armed services. As a group we got out our red yarn and also began thinking about wars long past and those unfortunately continuing around the world. It certainly made me think about our forces at home and abroad. Whether or not you agree with the war going on at the moment or not, it's still about remembering those who fought for us in past wars and how our lives have changed as a result. For the better I may add :0)

From a basic poppy pattern found via a friends facebook page, I made a 'bouquet' of different sized poppies. For ease and for quickness I cheated and used black buttons as centres and green felt leaves. I was really pleased with the result.

 The tag was embroidered with the words, 'We shall remember them'

As people gathered around our local cenotaph and around the bench under the tree nearby, I felt proud that I had done my bit and honoured our war heroes. I felt proud that people were looking at the wreath, carefully sewn to the bench, smiling. I kept my distance but noted the approving glances from the elders in the community as well as the youngsters sitting by it. They touched it, puzzled over it and smiled about it. Job done :0)


Yarnsy also made this....


The tag reads...
'It isn't enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn't enough to believe in it. One must work at it.'
Eleanor Roosevelt

I hope in some way we did our bit and contributed to paying our respects along with the rest of our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment